Nightshade® Simulation Software
Nightshade is simulation and visualization software for teaching and exploring astronomy, Earth science, and related topics.
Digitalis leads the Nightshade project, which is run under an open model where anyone can submit a bug report or feature request and otherwise get involved. Most source code is openly available and our development roadmap is public.
Our emphasis is on usability, realism, feature stability, and performance. Nightshade is largely backward compatible with scripts for Stellarium 0.8.2 and earlier using the StratoScript™ language developed and maintained by Digitalis Education Solutions, Inc.
Digitarium systems currently use Nightshade Legacy but this will soon be superceeded by Nightshade NG.
Nightshade NG (Next Generation)
- Nightshade NG is a complete rewrite from the ground up, with the first production release due out Summer 2015.
- NG throws out the limitations inherited from earlier projects in favor of advanced features supported by cutting-edge simulation techniques.
- Commercially licensed versions for dome use will be exclusive to Digitarium systems:
- Nightshade NG Professional
- Nightshade NG Basic (a lower cost version limited to travel within our solar system)
- Nightshade NG Professional Dome Preview is currently available to select Digitarium users with OP5 or OP6 hardware.
Read more about Nightshade or download a free preview version at http://www.NightshadeSoftware.org.
Nightshade NG will be a free upgrade for Digitarium users with at least Operating Platform 5 (OP5).
More About Nightshade NG
Digitalis developers are hard at work on Nightshade NG, which will be a major milestone for the project. Features will include:
- A terrain engine, for realistic and detailed terrain imagery and topographic data for select planets such as the Earth
- Fly through the solar system, to other stars, and even outside of the Milky Way galaxy
- Extensive 3d galaxy database
- Improved atmosphere rendering to encompass on and above Earth views
- The ability to view 3d models of irregular bodies such as asteroids or spacecraft, or even user loaded models such as chemical compounds
- Volumetric models of diffuse objects such as nebulae and galaxies.
All currently shipping Digitarium systems are ready for Nightshade NG.
Watch a video snapshot of development progress.
Nightshade is a registered trademark and StratoScript is a trademark of Digitalis Education Solutions, Inc.
We are extremely satisfied with the performance of the Digitarium Epsilon projector... We especially enjoy the alignment-free operation of the single projection system, plenty adequate brightness for our 30-foot dome, and excellent image quality...
— Alan Gould & Toshi Komatsu, Lawrence Hall of Science, Berkeley, CA