Nightshade® Astronomy Simulation Software
Nightshade is simulation and visualization software for teaching and exploring astronomy, Earth science, and related topics. Digitalis leads the Nightshade project and does the vast majority of the development work.
Our emphasis is on usability, realism, feature stability, and performance. Nightshade is backward compatible with scripts for Stellarium 0.8.2 and earlier using the StratoScript™ language developed and maintained by Digitalis Education Solutions, Inc.
Nightshade development is done under an open model where anyone can submit a bug report or feature request and otherwise get involved. Source code is openly available and our development roadmap is public.
There are two flavors:
- This was originally a fork of the award-winning Stellarium software, but tailored for planetarium and educator use. (Digitalis was also part of the Stellarium development team.)
- Nightshade Legacy is the current stable version, but is not being developed further.
- It is licensed under the free, open source GNU GPLv3 license.
- Nightshade Legacy is currently available for Linux, Windows, Mac OSX, and other platforms.
- Nightshade NG is a complete rewrite from the ground up, with the first production release due out in 2014. It throws out the limitations inherited from earlier projects in favor of advanced features supported by cutting-edge simulation techniques.
- Nightshade NG is licensed under the Nightshade Public License. There is no cost to download or use Nightshade NG, and source code is openly available to review, modify, and distribute. However, some special uses such as planetarium or simulator projection are restricted to commercially licensed versions. For example, Nightshade NG Professional (for dome use), will be restricted to Digitalis produced hardware.
- A preview release of Nightshade NG is currently available for Windows and Linux.
Read more about Nightshade or download it for free at http://www.NightshadeSoftware.org.
Nightshade Legacy is currently the simulator used in our Digitarium digital planetarium systems. See below for a comparison with other open source planetarium simulators.
Nightshade NG Professional will be a free upgrade for Digitarium users with at least Operating Platform 5 (OP5).
More About Nightshade NG
Digitalis developers are hard at work on Nightshade NG, which will be a major milestone for the project. Features will include:
- A terrain engine, for realistic and detailed terrain imagery and topographic data for select planets such as the Earth
- Fly through the solar system, to other stars, and even outside of the Milky Way galaxy
- Extensive 3d galaxy database
- Improved atmosphere rendering to encompass on and above Earth views
- The ability to view 3d models of irregular bodies such as asteroids or spacecraft, or even user loaded models such as chemical compounds
- Volumetric models of diffuse objects such as nebulae and galaxies.
With the addition of these features, Nightshade will come close to matching incredibly expensive proprietary planetarium software.
All currently shipping Digitarium systems are ready for Nightshade NG Professional.
Watch a video snapshot of development progress.
Planetarium Simulation Software Feature Comparison
The following is a comparison of the major differences between Nightshade Legacy running in our specialized environment on Digitarium systems, Nightshade Legacy alone, and Stellarium.
|Feature||Nightshade on Digitarium||Nightshade Alone||Stellarium|
|Numerous bug fixes and performance enhancements||x||x|
|Greater configurability and attention to planetarium specific features||x||x|
|Close integration with our uniquely intuitive remote control interface||x|
|Two-way integration with our uniquely powerful Universal Console iPad or desktop interface||x|
|Enhanced starfield realism/configurability||x||x|
|More solar system objects and higher resolution planet surfaces and nebula images||x|
|Nightly data updates for asteroids, comets, exoplanets, and artificial satellites.||x|
|Support for daylight savings and all world timezones||x||Linux only.|
|Show moon or other body orbit visualizations (3D depth buffered for realism)||x||x|
|Explore a planet from above||x||x|
|Load solar system objects (such as natural or artificial satellites, asteroids, comets, etc.) from a StratoScript||x||x|
|Play videos from a StratoScript||x||Not by default.|
|Play a StratoScript from a USB drive or the internal hard drive||x||Hard drive.|
|Lens distortion correction built in (Digitalis lenses)||x|
|Support for distortion correction when the projector must be placed off-center||x||Not video.|
|Integration with our media display/distortion correction software (perspective, off center, and lens distortion correction for video and images displayed anywhere on the dome)||x|
|Zoom to a location below the zenith for easier viewing in a dome||x||x|
|No hardware or driver compatibility issues to deal with||x|
|Automated software updates at your command||x|
|Free technical support for the life of your Digitarium system||x|
|Future software support||Nightshade NG Professional (exclusive)||Being discontinued.||No focus on planetarium usage.|
Nightshade is a registered trademark and StratoScript is a trademark of Digitalis Education Solutions, Inc.