Digitarium® Epsilon Portable 2 Digital Planetarium System
The Digitarium® Epsilon Portable 2 model is a digital planetarium system designed to be portable. This system can be used in either a full dome or a truncated projection mode.
Full dome/full sky projection is available at a projection angle of 155 degrees. This is not ideal for the typical inflatable dome as the projection will be somewhat higher on the dome than a more immersive 175 degree projection. It is, however, a good solution if you want to use chair type seating, or have a higher than typical dome springline.
In truncated projection mode, a 1344 pixel diameter truncated circle (truncated to a 1920x1200 pixel frame) is projected at a 180x155 degree projection angle. This mode is typically best suited for high resolution wide angle immersive movie uses. The planetarium features will still work, but with part of the sky missing we don't recommend this mode for serious astronomy education.
This model is designed for those who want high resolution in a portable Digitarium system but can not afford the Digitarium Kappa Portable 2 model. The Epsilon's high resolution is invaluable if you show fulldome video shows, immersive environments, or scientific visualizations. Starfields will also look better, especially with the high contrast and our high quality proprietary lens.
Choose from a lower cost Basic option or much more powerful Professional software package. See specifications below for details.
The Epsilon Portable 2 Professional model includes our high-resolution data set of the solar system for spectacular planetary exploration with incredible detail.
See also Digitarium general specifications.
||1344 circle truncated at 1200
|Field of View
||180 degrees, full sky.
||180 x ~155 degrees.
|Pixels per degree of sky
|Angle of Projection
||180 x 155 degrees
|Maximum Dome Diameter
||16 feet/5m recommended.|
|Base Projector Brightness
||5000 lumens with non-fisheye lens (Provided for comparison purposes with other systems. Actual brightness with a fisheye lens is significantly less due to not projecting the whole video rectangle and differing lens properties.)|
||Nominal projector contrast is up to 5,300:1.|
||Up to 2000 hours on high.|
|User Interfaces Included
|Software||Nightshade NG Basic (more limited features)||Nightshade NG Professional
|Planetary Data||Low resolution, no topography (flat surfaces).||Exclusive Solar System Collection high-resolution data set.|
||Stereo with integral speakers; stereo with external user supplied speakers.|
||100-240 VAC, 50-60Hz, 850W|
||FCC Class A, CE class A (RoHS compliant), UL or CSA listed components|
System: 16 x 16 x 25 inches for storage (40 x 40 x 63.5 cm),
16 x 16 x 35 inches for use (40 x 40 x 89 cm)
Transit case: 19 x 21 x 31 inches (47.5 x 52.5 x 77.5 cm)
System: 48.5 lbs. (22.0 kg)
Transit case: 34 lbs. (15.5 kg)
Total: 82.5 lbs. (37.5 kg)
The transit case has built in wheels and extendable handle for easy transport on flat surfaces.
||Basic: $27,825||Professional: $41,825|
Please use our purchase page for ordering instructions.Purchase price includes:
- One Digitarium Epsilon Portable 2 planetarium system with set of two Digitarium remote controls (one spare)
- Rugged wheeled transit case.
- Heavy duty surge suppressor with 25-foot cord (120 VAC countries only).
- DLP projector remote control.
- Wireless gamepad control.
- Comprehensive and easy to use set of user manuals.
- Set of lesson plans for use with elementary through high school students.
- Complete set of PASS™ Curricula for Digitarium Systems. Includes Augmented Lessons ideal for use with our Universal Console interface.
- 2 TB portable hard drive with companion media for lesson plans, over 3 GB of royalty-free music, and over two dozen fulldome video shows.
- Three year limited warranty (Three year limited warranty on the projection component from Barco.)
- Free technical support and automated software updates for the life of your system.
- Complete system rescue disk on solid state drive in case of emergency.
- Lens cleaning kit.
- Exclusive Digitalis Child-Safe LED Light Pointer.
- Exclusive Digitarium red lighted pen for writing in the dark.
- Free membership in our Digitarium user community website.
- Prepaid calendar-year individual membership in the International Planetarium Society.
Please note: these prices do not include a dome, a necessary requirement for system use. Purchase a Digitalis dome with your system and receive a $1,000 package discount.